Learning New Skills – Katherine Bostock

Written by Katherine Bostock

Blog - Innovation in Medical Engineering

I’m currently on the second year of the CDT programme, and I am coming up to finishing my first year of PhD work, which means just one thing. Transfer. The deadline is a month away, meaning my time is currently spent editing my literature review, and getting one more set of data for my results section. So, it’s safe to say I’m a little bit busy at the moment.

My project revolves around restoring GAGs to tissue which has been depleted, at the moment focusing on early grade cartilage lesions. This wasn’t a project I would have chosen if I wasn’t a part of the CDT, having not come from a biology background, however I love the translational potential of the work, and expanding my knowledge outside of my undergraduate background.

That’s why I’ve had a great couple of weeks learning new techniques within the lab. I’m currently training up on a histology technique that I’ve never done before, and comparing those results to the technique I have been using for the last few months. The results will enable me to compare the different fixative options, and the training will improve my overall histology competencies. I’m also doing my first sterility test on the samples I’ve been working on for the last few weeks, so we’ll see if my aseptic technique is still up to scratch. It’s always interesting getting to learn a new skill in the lab, and definitely spices things up after doing another solution change.

In the upcoming weeks I’ll be moving on to look at longer time points for my samples, and tackling my first sterile dissection. So, there’s still a lot learn, but it’s going to be a fun, and stimulating experience.